The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois
Payroll Instructions for New Graduate Students
Please follow these instructions and complete all payroll forms so that your paycheck will not be delayed
- Report to the SCS HR office in 312 Noyes Lab to complete NESSIE (Net-driven Employee Self-Service and Information Environment) new hire employment documents. If you are a U.S. citizen you will be contacted by the SCS HR office with a logon ID and password so that you can complete these documents prior to arriving on campus. You may visit the "NESSIE" web site.
- If you are an international student, you must check in with the Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) when you arrive on campus. Employees who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents are required to complete a Foreign National Tax Information Request Form which is enclosed with this Department of Chemistry package. You must complete the form and take it with your passport and other immigration documents to the Payroll Office, 100A Henry Administration Building. Special tax regulations apply for international students. You are not required to complete the W-4 form in NESSIE. Our office will set appointment details with the payroll office.
- For the I-9 form, please come to 312 Noyes Lab with two items of identification, one of which is a picture identification such as a driver’s license. Your social security card or birth certificate or passport are samples of other forms of identification. By the third working day of your appointment, you are required to complete an I-9 Form. If you are an international student, your I-9 Form will be signed by a person in the Office of International Student Affairs.
- After your appointment has been completed in the university payroll system, you will be able to update all your information in NESSIE including changing your address, telephone number, your direct deposit information. You will also see your notice of appointment and earnings statement. (NESSIE website).
- Complete your Selective Service Compliance Form and turn it in to the SCS Human Resources office.
Where to turn in forms