Chemistry at Illinois University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois

Payroll Instructions for New Graduate Students

Please follow these instructions and complete all payroll forms so that your paycheck will not be delayed


  1. Report to SCS HR office in 312 Noyes Lab to complete the I-9 form. This form requires two items of identification, one which has to have a picture ID. You can find the list of acceptable documents at ( ). SCS HR is only able to accept the original document per federal regulations. This must be completed on or before your first day of work.
  2. To complete the New Hire paperwork, you must present your social security card to SCS HR. You will then be given a logon ID and password so that you can complete the documents and be entered into the payroll system.
  3. If you are an international student, you must check in with the Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) when you arrive on campus. Employees who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents are required to complete a Foreign National Tax Information Request Form which is enclosed with this Department of Chemistry package. You must complete the form and take it with your passport and other immigration documents to Foreign National Tax Meeting that you must register for. Special tax regulations apply for international students. You are not required to complete the W-4 form in NESSIE. Our office will set appointment details with the payroll office.
  4. After your appointment has been completed in the university payroll system, you will be able to update all your information in the employee portal, NESSIE (Net-driven Employee Self-Service and Information Environment), including changing your address, telephone number, your direct deposit information. You will also see your notice of appointment and earnings statement.

Where to turn in forms

SCS HR in 312 Noyes Lab